Having just submitted my Chartership revalidation for 2014 I wanted to take advantage of the reflections this inspired and make a note of my professional goals for 2015.
1. Continue keeping up to date with US and UK library news through reading and personal interactions, and do my best to widen my horizons still further.
2. Develop within SLA:
- Be as effective as possible as SLA NY President Elect – I want to focus on our Board mentees scheme to ensure it is as effective as possible; I would like to become more knowledgeable about the Chapter communications and diversity efforts, because these are things I think are important; and I also want to work on my personal leadership style, as I feel need to be more incisive and better at chairing meetings.
- Increase awareness of efforts on wider level as a PR Coordinator for LMD – my newest volunteer role, I signed up for this just two days ago and am looking forward to getting stuck in!
3. Gain more practical experience of digital humanities – this is an area in which I have long been interested, and the time seems right to get more involved:
- Continue gaining hands-on digitisation project work in my volunteer role at the New York Philharmonic Archives.
- Study some data science courses via Coursera – I’ve just begun the Data Scientist’s Toolbox, and there are several other courses in the same series which I intend to work through in order.
I have just noticed that these three areas are loosely structured around the CILIP cardinal points of personal development (3.), organisational considerations (2.) and wider professional awareness (1.) – this wasn’t actually my intention, but given that I intend to continue revalidating it feels like a sensible way to proceed.
My work status remains unchanged so I don’t have a specific workplace to focus on in the way which I could whilst employed, but this is certainly not an impediment to continuing professional development (though whether it becomes an impediment to revalidation remains to be seen). If anything, not having a regular job has inspired me to be much more creative and proactive about seeking out opportunities for involvement and development, and I’m certainly keeping busy!
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment